Schneider-Canet 150mm heavy howitzer M. 1897/05
The Schneider-Canet 150mm L/12 heavy howitzer was built throughout of steel, and was formed by the following parts: a tube in the rear of which was the breech-block seating, and a jacket fitted in the rear with the breech-block hinge, and with a shoulder piece to which were joined the recoil piston and the recuperator rods, the jacket being made with two longitudinal lateral flanges, by which the howitzer was supported and guided in the cradle. In front of the jacket there were two coils. The breech opened out in three actions of the breech-block: the latter was fitted with a plastic obturator, firing being effected by means of obturating friction fuze. A special vent-cover allowed the fuze to be screwed in when the breech-block was opened out and when it was closed, but the firing line could not be adjusted until the breech was completely closed.
contained the cradle, which rested, through its trunnion, on the trail, and
carried the gun through two slides, in which fitted the lateral flanges of
the gun; the latter could recoil in the cradle over
between the wheels, on tread, was
For sighting the gun, an alidade scale was provided; it was placed on the cradle, and therefore did not recoil with the gun. It was arranged in such a way as to enable the laying of the gun, with rectification of the firing angle up to an angle of + 35°. The scale and the sight were mounted on a horizontal spindle, which allowed of maintaining the sight-line in a vertical plane, parallel with the axis of the gun, whatever be the incline the carriage might take, owing to the unevenness of the ground or an unequal setting of the wheels. From + 35° to + 45°, the required elevation was given with the help of an ordinary dial-plate level or of the alidade scale.
carried a chest to hold 5 rounds. It weighted
For the improvements introduced in 1905 see Siege and fortress artillery.
SOURCE : DREDGE. James: The Works of Messrs. Schneider and Co.