Schneider-Canet 120mm long gun M. 1897
The Schneider-Canet 120mm L/28 gun was built throughout of steel, and it was formed of a tube which run the whole of its length, the breech-block fitting in the rear end of the tube. It was strengthened by a jacket, a trunnion-ring and a wedge coil. The jacket was fitted with a coil, on which were joined the elevating bars. The breech-block was of the ordinary threaded type, with a plastic obturator of the Schneider-Canet system. The fire was effected with a friction fuze. The breech was opened in three actions of the breech-block.
The carriage consisted of two brackets built up of steel plates; they were held apart by top and bottom stay-plates, a stay-bolt, and a head-plate fitted with the angle bar which formed the chase rest. The two brackets were joined together at the trail end by a cast steel piece held by a trail-plate. The brackets carried the gun trunnions, the support for the elevating mechanism, and the various accessories required for working the gun. The bottom trail-plate carried the socket which held the recoil piston rod. The hydraulic recoil cylinder was on the Schneider-Canet system, with central counter-rod and constant resistance. The carriage rested on a steel axle, with the interposition of an axle body of hard wood. A shoe-brake acted on the wheels in the ordinary manner when the gun was wheeled about.
The elevating mechanism contained a toothed sector, joined by two bars to the coil on the jacket; it geared with a pinion keyed on a horizontal shaft, worked direct by the elevating handwheel.
The platform on which the carriage rested was formed of oak beams, placed in the ground. A bolster bolted on the platform carried the pivot round which the jointed axle of the recoil cylinder turned. It was also provided with a frame, to which the brake shoes were fitted.
The trail end was fitted with the accessories for hooking it in the limber. When the gun was transported on its carriage, it was placed in special rests on the trail. The recoil-cylinder was mounted on a special car, the carriage being wheeled together with the limber.
For the improvements introduced in 1907, see Siege and fortress artillery.
SOURCE : DREDGE. James: The Works of Messrs. Schneider and Co.