1912 at the beginning of war against
According with CRAWFURD PRICE, The Balkan Cockpit, p. 342, during the Balkan War the Greek Army captured from the Bulgarians:
- 7 900 magazine rifles and carbines,
- 9 machine guns,
- 84 guns,
- 215 ammunition wagons,
- 7,910 shells,
- 589 smokeless charges,
- 1,200,000 cartridges.
for the artillery, these numbers are different from those published in
1914 the structure of Greek Army was radically changed. Army Corps were introduced and the number of Infantry Divisions rose
to fourteen. Field Artillery was assigned to Army Corps, while Infantry
Division received only a pack artillery division (two batteries each).
However due to lack of mountain artillery, some Infantry Division had only
one battery. Beside them there were also : a
division of Horse Artillery in
At the beginning of the World War Greek Army had:
- 168 field guns (Schneider-Creusot 75mm QF L/31.4 M. 1906 and ex Turkish Krupp 75mm L/30 QF M. 1904)
- 98 mountain guns (Schneider-Danglis 75mm L/16.7 QF M. 1906, Schneider-Canet M. 1910 and ex Turkish Krupp 75mm L/14 QF mod. 1904)
- about one hundred heavy and siege guns of various calibres and pattern (105mm, 150mm, 170mm guns, 150mm mortars), mostly old.
Some not quick-firing field and mountain guns of little value were in reserve. After the Balkan Wars Greece had ordered further 12 field battery (48 Schneider-Creusot 75mm guns), but they were seized by French Army at the beginning of the world War, in September 1914.
September 1916 Greek Army Corps D based in
In 1917 the Greek army was reorganized by a French Military Mission, composed by 60 officers under command of the French Military attaché, général de brigade Paul Braquet. On 27 September with a Royal decree signed by king Alexandros of Greece he was appointed major general and Deputy chief of Staff of the Greek Army. He was assisted by two staff officers, the French commandant Revol and the Greek colonel Raktivan. On 19 Novembrer another Royal Decree abolished the charge of Chief of Staff, and appointed gen. Braquet General Inspector of the Greek Army, assisted by the Intendant Bonnier, charged to organize the supply of weapons and equipments. At the beginning of January general Braquet was replaced by general Joseph Bourdeaux, who was succeeded by général de division Gramat on 18 June 1918. As for artillery, in order to make a total of ten divisions complete, and to enable them to be moved to the front, the French Staff estimated that, the Greek Army needed another 56 field and 20 mountain guns in addition to the already existing 160 field and 100 mountain ones. In particular Greek Army had no modern heavy artillery.
It was decided that every Greek Infantry Division would include two mountain artillery battalions with two batteries each and a trench artillery battalion with eight 58mm Batignolles trench mortars, while every Army Corps should have a field artillery regiment with 9 four-guns batteries. At the disposal of the Army Command should be one horse artillery battery attached to the cavalry brigade and two heavy artillery regiments, each of 9 four-guns batteries.
of these regiments was armed by
In autumn 1918 Greek Army had:
- 128 mountain guns (Schneider-Danglis 75mm QF M. 1906 and Schneider-Ducrest 65mm M. 1906 QF);
- 72 Schneider-Creusot 75mm QF M. 1906 QF field guns;
De Bange 120mm M.
left to right: gen. Regnault (Commander of the Armée Française d’Orient), gen. Sarrail (High
Commander of the Armée d’Orient),
gen. Braquet (the third officer in the second row),
admiral Gueydon (Commander of French Fleet in